53 comments on “Friday, March 17 – ONLINE CLASS

1. What was your argument and purpose, and how did you make them clear and persuasive in this presentation?
    My argument was that dystopian literature is a warning against the attitude of the millennial generation towards romance, and the purpose was to convince the audience that there are parallels. Stating the thesis at the beginning directed the audience’s attention to the specific topic and revisiting the thesis reminds them of the overall argument.

Describe the methods and modes that were the focus of your communicative work in this project. What are the defining features of the genre or media you are using in this presentation? How do you make the best possible uses of these features (affordances)?
    The power point presented images and quotes that related to the argument while providing extra information or emphasizing a point. I kept the quotes short, and I made sure the power point was not distracting.

Who was the intended audience for your artifact; why is this an appropriate audience? How is your audience reflected in your presentation?
    Intended audience was young adults, specifically the millennial generation. I used a tone and vocabulary that was not very formal, and the examples are very relatable to a younger audience.

How did the process of presenting your argument help to clarify the written version in your research paper? Did anything change in your paper based on the process of composing your presentation, giving your presentation or the feedback you received from your presentation?
    The presentation helped me understand why my argument is important, and it helped me draw connections between evidence and real life examples.

Reflect on your strengths and weaknesses in completing this project. Articulate areas and strategies you would like to focus on for continued improvement.
    I had trouble deciding which information that should be communicated through orally or visually. I felt like the flow of ideas could have been improved.

If you had more time for revision, what would you change and why?
    I would practice more, I felt rushed during the presentation.

2. My argument was that the majority of dystopian novels mirror problems in our own society, show us a possible future if we do not address these issues, and outlines the values held by our society. I used three different novels to support my argument, one of which was my choice novel.
    I used a type of powerpoint for the main mode of media in my presentation. Verbal communication, however, was my main method of communication.
    My intended audience is dystopian novel readers.
    I believe the evidence for my argument was solid, and the information I presented was applicable and concise. The main change I would make to my presentation would be clearer talking points and the incorporation of more media driven components, such as videos, pictures, and tweets.

3. My argument was that the comparison of a utopia and a dystopia (created through use of a utopic bubble) is utilized by authors to highlight the effect of the dystopia; specifically, to argue that utopias are merely theory and could never truly exist.

I used bubbles as the theme for my presentation to emphasize my overarching argument. Examples include using bubbles as backgrounds, methods of comparison, and bullet points. I also used concise wording in order to make my points easy to read and clear.

The preparation for and actual presentation of my research paper acted as an outline. It aided me in synthesis of my thoughts, making the actual writing process all the more smooth and painless. The tweets directed towards me during my presentation were very helpful in considering what to add to my argument, and I made sure to address those questions within my research paper.

Given more time for revision, I would rehearse more. While I spent hours over the weekend rehearsing, I feel as though I should have still given it more time, as my physical presentation was the weakest point of my argument.

4. In my presentation, I explained the role that first-person POV plays in both YA dystopia and literature as a whole. I related the different aspects to YA dystopia specifically, showing how authors use these to highlight their goals. My purpose was to show that the fundamentals of literature deserve just as much attention as other aspects.

In using a powerpoint presentation, I attempted to keep it down to just a few words and mostly pictures. Later in my presentation, this wasn’t entirely possible, so it might have been better if I had reorganized the presentation somewhat. I spoke and explained my slides rather than reading straight off of them.

In both my classmates’ and my opinions, I did not make the best possible use of the features of a powerpoint. Again, more pictures and less text would have made for a better presentation. However, I felt that I included a healthy mixture of both in the first half of my presentation. It was only the second half that was mostly text.

My intended audience was scholars already educated in the finer points of YA dystopian literature; they should already understand why dystopias are written, where they come from, etc. This is reflected in my presentation because I did stop to define dystopia, instead diving straight in to my thesis. Therefore, anybody with enough prior knowledge would have followed my presentation easily and should have been able to think about my arguments for themselves.

Based on the student reflections I received, I reordered some of my arguments. Other than that, most of my argument stayed the same. I did put a larger focus on the ‘why’ in my paper instead of the ‘what.’

My strengths in this project included clearly establishing my argument and presenting without too much fear. However, I feel that I could have worded my thoughts much better for my presentation. I would like to improve my organizational skills when it comes to putting thoughts onto paper. Also, more practice would have led to a smoother look in my presentation.

I would make my presentation more organized (although I am still not entirely sure how I would do that). I would also reduce the number of words for my audience to read. However, I am content with my argument and feel that only its display should be altered.

5. The argument of my paper is why the United States can be considered a dystopia. The paper takes current events as well as lines from the Declaration of Independence to support that the United States was meant to be a utopia, but has failed to become one. I made this argument clear in my paper by supporting my argument with different types of credible sources.
    The intended audience for this artifact is anyone interested in dytopian novels. The audience also includes anyone interested in the United States government. The audience includes peers, faculty, and anyone else interested in either topic.
    Some of the strengths in this artifact includes that I was passionate about the topic. I found it interesting which means that I spent time revising the essay as well as researching the topic. Another strength is that I was able to balance my thoughts with examples from the novels I read as well as credible sources. One weakness I would have liked to improve is that I would have liked to have more time to make sure my ideas flowed well. I felt like there were moments that my ideas didn’t all flow together and I would have liked to reorder everything.
    If I had time for revisions I would have added more sources in some of my paragraphs to support my argument. This would have made the paper stronger and it would have helped make the paper more credible. By making the paper more credible it allows my argument to have more of an impact for anyone that reads it.

6. What was your argument and purpose, and how did you make them clear and persuasive in this presentation?
    I repeated my argument and purpose at both the beginning and end of my presentation to remind the audience of what they’re listening to and why.
    Vocal communication was the main mode. Unfortunately, I pretty much had a nervous breakdown the morning of and rushed through my points in a nervous factor. I created slide that I was very very proud of. Unfortunately, the formatting got ruined when I went to present. Overall, the preparations went well but I butchered it.
    The intended audience was my English class. I spoke to them.
    I realized what points interested the audience more than other and focused more on that in my paper.
    I prepared well but performed poorly.
    I would switch my software to something compatible with the hardware I had to use.

7. – My argument was that YA dystopian authors use their novels to analyze the effects of existing technology that is advancing in our society and how that is a solid foundation for a potential dystopia.
    – The two main modes for the presentation were oral and visual. I used a Powerpoint presentation to complement what I was arguing. On the slides, I put images and some key terms so my audience could follow my speech better.
    – Preparing for the presentation, allowed me to organize my thoughts and main points to support my argument, which in turn helped me write me research paper.
    – The intended audience were my classmates and my professor who already have some knowledge with the topic of dystopias.
    – Something that I would like to improve when presenting, is to not rely so much on my script and instead look at the audience more. Also, to use more nonverbal communication along with the oral and visual modes.

8. I discussed censorship and its effects on YA dystopian novels and used visuals from the ALA to show statistics about censorship

the presentation helped me modify my thesis because I had to condense the points I was trying to get across into a six to eight minute presentation, so I had to make sure I was only stating things that needed to be said

If i could revise I would have practiced more to work on my timing so I did not feel as rushed at the end and used less sentence fillers like “um”

9. My presentation was about what makes dystopias so appealing to young adults. I wanted to talk about the elements that make up a dystopia and try to get the class’s minds of authors and producers when they are trying to create a dystopia society. Through each element, I explained it’s importance and gave an example that best shows that element. Through my presentation, I mostly used my oral and nonverbal communication. The presentation had to be well-spoken and clear so that my audience can hear everything that I was saying because so information given to them was not presented in the slides shown to them. My nonverbal communication is what helps me keep my audience engaged in what I am saying. By keeping good eye contact and moving my hands, I look professional and their focus is constantly at me. The pictures on my slides were just some visual elements that make my presentation fun to look at, especially the glitter text I had on my title page. My audience was for young adults that have an interest in dystopias. This targeted audience would understand why the elements mentioned make up the dystopia setting and might want to know how their interest started in the first place. By presenting my presentation, my audience would gain some knowledge about the main ingredients that makes up a dystopia and why dystopia is important to create and present to the world.

10. My argument was that whoever has information in a dystopian world is more likely to be powerful and at an advantage. I made sure to outline the 3 ways in which I think information is used against people in a dystopia and elaborated on the 3 points using examples from popular YA Dystopian novels.
    The two main modes here were visual and oral. I used Microsoft Powerpoint to show images or figures of what I was talking about so that the viewers of my presentation could relate better to my speech.
    My intended audience was my classmates and professor who already knew a lot about all the dystopian novels that I was mentioning. They also knew the general train of thought that we had gone through so I didn’t have to introduce them to dystopias in general.
    I got clarity on the organization of my paper as I did have ideas before but they were scattered and I didn’t know how to place them one after another.
    Given a chance, I would add more pictures to my presentation to make it more attractive.

11. 1. What was your argument and purpose, and how did you make them clear and persuasive in this presentation?
    • I argued for the significant presence of big data in dystopian literature. I made this clear by giving example in specific novels of how It is seen and how it contributes to the oppression in the dystopia

2. Describe the methods and modes that were the focus of your communicative work in this project. What are the defining features of the genre or media you are using in this presentation? How do you make the best possible uses of these features (affordances)
    • I tried to use as many visual effect as possible to make the visuals compelling. I tried to speak loudly and add inflection to my voice.

3. Who was the intended audience for your artifact; why is this an appropriate audience? How is your audience reflected in your presentation?
    • The intended audience was people knowledgeable about the details of dystopian literature. This is reflected because I assume my audience has basic knowledge in this area

4. How did the process of presenting your argument help to clarify the written version in your research paper? Did anything change in your paper based on the process of composing your presentation, giving your presentation or the feedback you received from your presentation
    • The paper was organized in a similar flow of logic as my presentation

5. Reflect on your strengths and weaknesses in completing this project. Articulate areas and strategies you would like to focus on for continued improvement.
    • I believe my argument was original and compelling, accompanied with appropriate support. However, the presenting portion was my weakness, as I lacked confidence
    6. If you had more time for revision, what would you change and why?
    • I would practice more to gain more confidence presenting in front of an audience.

12. My argument in this presentation was that the age of protagonists in dystopia certainly have an effect on the popularity of this genre. In my research I have found concepts like the identification effect, perception of reality and so much more, that help de readers relate to the characters in such a deep level, that the correlation of age between them is crucial to strengthen that bond.

I think that while oral mode was the predominant mode in this presentation, since I was doing the talking, but I definitively think my visual aids certainly helped. Many people commented how they enjoyed my slides and graphics. They believed they were formal and visually appealing and I think that they helped set a mode and a seriousness that is needed when presenting, while at the same time, making the audience appreciate your visual aids.

I believe that my audience being my 1102 English class meant that they had previous knowledge about the terms that come up when talking about dystopia, and therefore I could use technical words and presenting my definitions knowing they had a background and a base to go off off. I believe my words were formal and appropriate for the setting.

I don’t think this presentation necessarily made me think about changing my argument, but rather helped me think about some areas I wanted to look more in depth, to be able to give good and solid arguments.

If I had more time I would probably have taken more time to practise in front of an audience. I realised I got nervous and sped through my words, while at times pushing the use of filler words. I think practise makes perfect, so probably that is what I would take more time in.

13. -What was your argument and purpose, and how did you make them clear and persuasive in this presentation?

My argument was that dystopian writers actively choose to have female protagonists in their works in order to challenge stereotypes and expectations of young women in current society, and that they also aim to empower their readers and viewers. I made this argument clear with three supporting arguments involving female protagonists’ traits, inclusion in love triangles, and examples of real-life activism.

-Who was the intended audience for your artifact; why is this an appropriate audience?

The intended audience was the class, and since we’ve been studying YA dystopian literature as well as shows/movies, this is an appropriate audience. We came in with previous knowledge about dystopias, making it easier to delve deeper into more narrow topics within dystopia.

-How did the process of presenting your argument help to clarify the written version in your research paper? Did anything change in your paper based on the process of composing your presentation, giving your presentation or the feedback you received from your presentation?

Presenting my argument helped me organize my paper. Saying my building arguments out loud made it more obvious which order I should be presenting information in. Receiving feedback that the structure flowed well and made sense helped me go about reconstructing my more detailed arguments in my research paper.

-If you had more time for revision, what would you change and why?

If I had time for revision, I would go back add more graphics. While I did use a visual (Prezi), I received some feedback that the presentation would have benefited from more pictures and images on my slides. I think a flow chart to illustrate the flow of my argument could have been helpful at the beginning or end to summarize.

14. My argument was that politics and dystopia are linked in an autocatalytic cycle. I made them clear by stating it repeatedly.
    Modes were: oral and visual; some written; defining features or my media: slides; I made them easily readable and not too busy to supplement my oral communication.
    My intended audience is dystopian readers because this is fora a dystopian literature class. I defined dystopian terms that were relevant but didn’t describe dystopia as a whole because I assumed they knew what it was.
    I clarified by using feedback from the audience; In my paper, I used more examples
    My weakness: never having written a research paper before; improve: visual communication
    If I had more time: I would do more drafts.

15. I argued that many dystopian societies exploit religion or a religion analogue to control and abuse its people. I showed how my novel used religion as a weapon and to prove that this is a legitimate tactic, I compared it to how North Korea deifies the Kims and uses this to abuse the citizens.

i want to use more sources in my research paper than I did in my presentation to bolster my ethos and find new information. I also want to use more quotes to help support my ideas.

If I could revise, I would make my visuals more pertinent and interesting so that they draw in the audience. The pictures would have been better and more prominent and I would have used less text. I also wish i had prepared more

16. My argument for my presentation was that societies are constantly striving to become unattainable utopias, but each individual within the society has a varied idea of perfection; therefore, the conflicting ideas lead to the formation of dystopian societies. I made this clear in my presentation by providing literary examples, a film example, as well as examples formed from real peoples’ opinions.

In my presentation, I utilized all WOVEN elements. I would say that the ones that I focused the most on in my presentation delivery itself were oral and non-verbal. However, the powerpoint presentation allowed me to also use written, visual, and electronic communication. I made the best possible use of my powerpoint by including images relating to the points I was making along with diagrams that organized my information.

The combination of WOVEN elements allowed me to appeal to a broad audience. However, my information definitely catered towards an audience of people who are familiar with YA dystopian fiction. Some of the elements that I discussed were brought up in a casual way as opposed to objectively, because I was under the assumption that my audience has prior knowledge about the subject.

If I had time to revise part of my presentation, I would have ran through my speech with an audience instead of just presenting it to myself. Additionally, I would have put a greater emphasis on making fluid transitions. The way that I organized my information made sense to me, but I think that to an observer it probably came off as slightly scattered.

17. 1. My main argument was how there is a common trend of non-normative behavior in YA dystopian literature. I made this clear by using examples from sources of literature we read in class and with my independent reading choice. I made this persuasive by highlighting such behavior and by illustrating a connection with germ theory. I also highlighted natural morality as a sort of counter argument.
    2. The intended audience was people interested with studying the genre of YA dystopian literature and behavior or just people wanting to know more about the subject. This was an appropriate audience because I analyzed behavior in YA dystopian literature which would interest such people. My audience is reflected by conducting my essay in such way it would appeal to those debating the behavior in YA dystopian literature.
    3. Presenting my argument really helped me cement my ideas of research on the topic. It also allowed me to illustrate my argument and spark more interest in my argument. It also allowed me find flaws that I need to fix in my argument through the source of peer review.
    4. My strength was completing an effective presentation that described my argument clearly. My weaknesses were my lack of a perfect presentation and maybe getting nervous. Also, not enough practice presenting.

18. 1) The argument was that although social taboos exist in real life and in literature, they are often overlooked; however, this is not the case when it comes to mental health and dystopian literature. This was made clear through data on the number of books about mental health, vs. the number of dystopian novels about mental health.
    2) The primary media used for communication were the powerpoint presentation as well as a rehearsed script. In the presentation, primary features included images of novels, which helped provide supporting visual examples of the different novels covering social taboos.
    3) Anyone interested in dystopian novel trends, or in a general view, anyone interested in thematic elements relating to the correlation between themes and popularity of novels. Additionally, an audience can be anyone interested in mental health exposure, or anyone struggling with it themselves. This was reflected throughout the entire presentation with examples and statistics.
    4) It made me realize what information is best processed by the audience; what is self-explanatory and what needs more elaboration and explanation. For my paper, this presentation allowed me to better control my argument and my thesis.
    5) My biggest problem was the use of filler words during my presentation; thus, I could improve upon my nonverbal communication through practice.
    6) would probably change the way I presented it; I had a script, but I was convinced that if I looked at it during my presentation it’d hinder my argument so instead, I didn’t ever glance at it, and as a result, I ended up hurting my argument even more because I lost my train of thought and didn’t check my script.

19. What was your argument and purpose, and how did you make them clear and persuasive in this presentation?
    I argued that young adult dystopian novels play an important role in helping adolescents face complex modern issues and moral dilemmas that arise as a result of technological advances.

My presentation incorporated all of the communicative modes described in WOVEN. I wrote a script and had bullet points with visuals in my electronic PowerPoint slides while giving an oral presentation that incorporated nonverbal body language.

The intended audience was my classmates and anyone who may be interested in young adult dystopias and what they do besides entertain.

I feel like I didn’t have much time to provide examples during my presentation, so I elaborated more on specific aspects of books that supported my thesis in my paper.

I think my argument could have been structured better. I had a lot of research done, but I found it difficult to synthesize the information into an argument.

I’d create more extensive outlines from the beginning, so my presentation and paper would feel more structured. I also didn’t have as much time as I would have liked to rehearse for my presentation, so I would have spent more time preparing to give my presentation comfortably.

20. In my presentations, I argued that subliminal messages have no affect on the human mind, but there are other means that can alter the perception of truth. I tried to primarily use the visual mode of communication in my slides using primarily graphs and other visuals rather than words. The way I organized my presentation was to have a couple of exercises where I interacted with the audience to introduce a concept, then I used research to help support my argument. I personally felt that my strongest point of my presentation was my use of vocal variety and my enthusiasm of the topic. However, my weakness came from the time limitation because I had only practiced in front of my roommate, and because participating with the audience was part of my presentation the bigger audience added some extra time to my presentation that I did not account for when rehearsing. All in all, I was very pleased with my presentation.

21. My argument was that architecture has an influence on the way people act and/ or feel. I went on to say that this is important because in YA dystopian novels architecture can be used to reinforce existing orders, prevent potential rebellions, and create a sense of hierarchy. I made my argument clear by providing examples of how architecture has influenced the characters in How I Live Now and The Hunger Games.
    The modes and methods that were the focus of my presentation were electronic communication, verbal communication, non-verbal communication, and visual. I needed to make my argument clear through the use of PowerPoint and my voice. To get my ideas across my visuals and words needed to be descriptive and persuasive.
    The intended audience of my presentation was my 1102 English class. This was an appropriate audience because they have been studying YA dystopian novels all semester as well, and they were creating research papers of their own. The audience helped me to refine my argument and gave me helpful feedback moving into my research paper.
    Presenting my argument helped a lot in clarifying what I wanted written in my research paper. It helped me organize my ideas and come up with a cohesive way to layout my information.

22. • What was your argument and purpose, and how did you make them clear and persuasive in this presentation?
    – I argued that there were 3 elements necessary for the success of a dystopia including an adolescent protagonist, nonconformity from the characters, and the creation of a society that is just outside of our own reality.
    – These were clearly presented as the 3 main arguments; each argument was backed with examples from two different novels (The Hunger Games and The Program)
    • Who was the intended audience for your artifact; why is this an appropriate audience? How is your audience reflected in your presentation?
    – The intended audience was young adult audience (around ages 13-20) because this is the age of the group of people who are most likely to read young adult dystopian fiction; if the presentation is targeted towards this specific audience it is more likely to have the desired impact
    – My audience was reflected in my presentation through their general interest in YA dystopian fiction and their opinions (feedback) on my specific arguments and on the quality of my presentation, visuals, WOVEN communication skills, etc.
    • How did the process of presenting your argument help to clarify the written version in your research paper? Did anything change in your paper based on the process of composing your presentation, giving your presentation or the feedback you received from your presentation?
    – In all honesty, my presentation made me realize that I had a weak argument. I presented three things as being “important” to YA dystopian fiction rather than being absolutely necessary/something that you cannot live without; because of this I presented an “argument” that really no one would argue against; the presentation of my one-sided argument made me realize that I needed to both change the topics that I was arguing to more controversial ones and two- argue a more extreme point- that a YA dystopian novel cannot be produced in the absence of these certain chosen elements.
    • Reflect on your strengths and weaknesses in completing this project. Articulate areas and strategies you would like to focus on for continued improvement.
    – I believe that my verbal communication was strong; I didn’t have any words on my slides and relied heavily on my verbal and oral communication
    – Next time I should include some words on my slides to make my arguments clearer to the audience + more memorable
    – Next time I should use more relevant images + include more data and statistics to support my arguments
    – I should include a wider variety of more relevant + credible sources to ensure a better presentation
    • If you had more time for revision, what would you change and why?
    If I had more time for revision I would change my topic to one more specific and in depth argument such as the single role of the common female protagonist + the evolution of the role of women in these novels over time.

23. 1) My argument was that the inherent role that dystopia plays is to convey the issues of our current society to the minds of their young readers. The reason for this is that we, as a society, have many issues and the young adults of today are going to be the ones who are able to fix this in the future.
    2) The process of presenting made me think a lot about my audience. When writing a paper you can often feel like just writing things that you know down and not explaining them well to the reader but giving the presentation forced me to consider that I need to explain the concepts that I’m dealing with rather than just talking about them.
    3) If I had more time for revision, I would ideally try to develop my paper more. I have a fairly broad topic and I can in no way cover every single possible situation or scenario that stems from it. I feel like I was specific enough and wrote my paper fairly well but it still could have been a little more extensive.

24. ♣ My argument was that: Young adult dystopian novels, if presented correctly to their audience, have the potential to inspire teenagers to have a passion for social justice; however, if left to their own devices many will only read the novel at face value.
    ♣ I used visual effects and humor to get my point across. I found memes about each novel and included it. It broke the dull lull of normal presentations and ensured my audience was engaged.
    ♣ My audience was a bunch of tired college freshman at 8 am. I knew that I needed to keep things lively and to the point.
    ♣ I realized from research that was spurred by questions from the audience that fandoms are not necessarily bad and can actually be an important aspect of how teenagers understand novels.
    ♣ I would’ve spent more time practicing and reduced the word count.

25. My argument was that young adults, through their relatability and relevance, are the reason that young adult dystopian literature as a genre has become so popular over the past 10 years. I made this clear by stating it and laying out my main points clearly in my slides.

Presenting my argument in presentation form helped clarify the points in my research paper and essentially created a layout/outline that I decided to follow in writing my paper. My argument became much more developed following the conference presentation as I gathered and organized more points and quotes, but I feel as though my presentation really helped me get started with thinking through the flow of my paper.

I think that one of my strengths regarding this project was that I was comfortable getting up and talking in front of the class and that I was able to keep my slides simple and straightforward without giving away everything that I wanted to talk about. At the same time, I would consider it one of the weaknesses that I paused a couple of times and used filler words on occasion by accident, which I would like to continue to improve upon.

If I had more time for revision, I would definitely try to refine the verbal aspect of my presentation. I would try to make my actual speaking points more concise and try to spend more time relating different aspects of my presentation back to my argument rather than elaborating on the individual pieces.

26. My argument was that YA dystopias are reflections of the life of teenagers, acting as distorted mirrors to their world. I made it clear and persuasive by stating points and subpoints backed with evidence.

I used power point because it was easier to put bullet points for my audience to follow and to add in pictures to balance out the text. I used gestures and eye contact during my speech although I do admit my eye contact should have been better.

The intended audience was for young adults who liked reading the YA genre or scholars who were interested in what a young adult herself had to say about this popular trend. Theses points sum up my classmates.

This process helped me organize my points (therefore clarify to myself) my research essay so I had what I had to write all planned out. It also helped me reflect on which sources to highlight and which ones not to. However, my paper did not change much apart from getting more details in because of my presentation.

My strength was my points and the evidence backing them but I was rushing the whole way because of time. If I had more time for revision, I would cut down some of the stuff even more and practice speaking in a slower, and less frantic voice.

27. – My overall argument was that our mainstream media has become dystopian in the way it controls the flow of information. It’s hard to tell exactly how successful I was in convincing people, but judging from some of the tweets during and after my presentation I definitely got some people talking about it
    – One of the primary modes was visual, the slides themselves. I think my slides were designed effectively to be an accompanying feature to my words without distracting from them too much. In general I like to keep my slides clean or minimal, and I think the visual elements I used were a good companion to my argument.
    – The intended audience is anyone who consumes media, so for the most part everyone. The goal is to make everyone more critical of the information they receive and how they receive it.
    – I think some of my strengths were the organization and the slides. I was happy with the structure of my argument and the evidence I provided. I was also pretty happy with the design of my slides. Something I need to improve is to practice the presentation more. I think some additional practice could have cleaned up the rough patches.

28. 1. What was your argument and purpose, and how did you make them clear and persuasive in this presentation?

For my presentation, I made the argument that the use of Technology directly affects the relationship between a government and it’s citizens in both real life and YA dystopian worlds. My purpose was to inform the audience of their part in the social contract and compare it to my YA examples as a warning.

2. Describe the methods and modes that were the focus of your communicative work in this project. What are the defining features of the genre or media you are using in this presentation? How do you make the best possible uses of these features (affordances)?

The presentation allowed me to use, visual, oral and nonverbal communication. My slides were stark, basic contrasting colors to make the audience focus more on my words.

My intended audience for both my presentation and my paper are my classmates and my professor, who aren’t necessarily looking for the same things. No one in the audience wants to be bored. I tried to keep it as interesting as I could, when making my points

4. How did the process of presenting your argument help to clarify the written version in your research paper? Did anything change in your paper based on the process of composing your presentation, giving your presentation or the feedback you received from your presentation?

Presenting my argument allowed me to form a better understanding of what I was fighting for, because I had to rephrase it and explain it to other people. It also made me simplify some points, or leave some out, because I realized they were irrelevant to the argument. The feedback for my presentation was mostly positive, as far as I know, if anything it encouraged me to continue pursuing the point I was arguing for.

One of my weaknesses is definitely my verbal and nonverbal communication. I knew everything I wanted to say, the direct issue was making sure I could communicate it to my audience. I’m still working on that, but talking more in class than I would have otherwise made it easier to present in front of them, because I was at least a little familiar with my audience. My strength is probably my writing.

I would have included more of my main points. There’s so much I left out, that I didn’t say because I was avoiding looking too much at the script. I would also wish to have rehearsed my presentation a few more times.

29. -My argument was about the importance technological prowess is in maintaining control in dystopias. The ruling government employs a more advanced means of media, military, mobility, and engineering to stay in control.
    -The main methods and modes of my presentation were verbal and electronic. Since I had already written the script, most of my presentation was based on how well I shared it. This included hand gestures and other nonverbal ways to present as well as using slides.
    -The intended audience was a group of well educated students with a basic knowledge of dystopias. This allowed me to present without having to explain book plots or other terms that related to my topic much. They asked well thought out questions too about my presentation.
    -My strengths included the way I presented the my presentation and engaging the audience. I began by asking the audience to close their eyes and imagine a world without technology. I then ended by calling people to action to watch how technology impacts their lives. I also was pretty well rehearsed in my presentation.
    -My weaknesses included my nervousness and slides. I did not make my slides perfect, since there was one mistake on them. Additionally, I was pretty tense despite the fact that I had gone over my presentation.
    -If I had time for revision, I would practice more with a live audience. This would serve to quell my nervousness and make the presentation better. It would also be good to see the video of my presentation to see any bad quirks I might have.

30. My argument centers around the post humanism/transhumanism theories. By referencing academic as well as mainstream sources, I hope to shed light on why and how these theories are used to develop the dystopian theme within the YA dystopia genre.

Within my research, I used many academic sources that highlight the impact post-humanism has on our current culture. These sources allow a overlapping contact on how dystopias use our ideas to create their redefinitions of humanity.

The Intended audience would be peers or others familiar to the YA dystopian genre, or academics interested in the posthuman connection to dystopian literature.

By present, it creates a general umbrella that allows initial understanding of my approach. Then within my research I can go into specifics. Forest vs. Tree mentality.

Weakness: Due to the lack of time, I feel like my connections to the dystopian text might lack depth. Strength: Much of my research observes the posthuman approach and how it works well with the dystopian theme. I also introduce concise understanding of my independent novel; I just hope I incorporated it properly into my research.

If I had more time I would focus on the dystopia culture. There are cultural aspects of dystopian societies that work well with the posthuman perspective. However, due to the lack of time I had to remain on the surface of Post Humanism mainly address the obvious technological and scientific (transhumanism area) of Post humanism which is also displayed more explicitly in dystopian novels. Rather than the ethical and cultural posthuman aspects of dystopias. I also wish I focus more on the posthuman bodies, however I feel that may have been a tangent if presented in the research incompletely.

31. • What was your argument and purpose, and how did you make them clear and persuasive in this presentation?

My argument is that society needs to be wary that a solid infrastructure for a potential dystopian society is available through current technology. I cite examples from real life and my independent reading to prove my point.

• Describe the methods and modes that were the focus of your communicative work in this project. What are the defining features of the genre or media you are using in this presentation? How do you make the best possible uses of these features (affordances)?

The main mode of communication in this work is writing. I mainly used elements of ethos and pathos. The defining feature of writing is organized writing structure and reasoning. I made the best possible uses of these features by doing readings and research to create my writing.

The intended audience for this audience are my peers and academic professors. I tailored this work to my audience by using academic sources that are available to us and using up to date relevant information that applies to my audience.

Making a presentation for the research paper helped me simplify all my thoughts into a linear thought process. I believe that my presentation helped me make my paper more organized and helped me realize what was important and what was not important.

I think a strength I had in the project was finding information and examples to prove my argument. One weakness I believe i had was making my paragraphs coherent but also nonrepetative.

If I had more time for revision, I would want to talk more about the philosophy of technology without going off topic.

32. -My argument was that social stratification is often implemented or heightened by technology in YA dystopias, which is reflective of the ways in which society handles technology today. I strongly presented my thesis and initial argument, but struggled to finish communicating everything I had to say.
    -My intended audience was our 1102 class specifically, but the presentation would be relevant to all dystopian scholars. I portrayed this by selecting which information was common knowledge (i.e. the synopsis of The Hunger Games) and not including it to save time.
    -In presenting, I found the points in my argument that needed more backing up, and places in which transitions between topics was a bit awkward. While my essay still wholeheartedly reflected my planning for the presentation, it had a bit more to it, while dropping some points that were really pretty irrelevant to my argument.

33. The intended audience for my presentation were my peers who are also working with YA dystopia this semester and my professor. Because they have a deep understanding of what defines a YA dystopia and because they are also interested in YA dystopia, they were an appropriate audience for my presentation.

In addition to the feedback I received from my professor, I also received valuable feedback and constructive criticism that will help me develop a stronger argument in my paper. As Dr. Fitz suggested, I need to narrow my scope in order to stay under that max page limit for my assignment.

My presentation didn’t go as well as I would have liked it to. My main weakness was that I read of my script too much. This made my audience feel that I wasn’t engaging with them very well. I also struggled with including relevant visuals in my presentation, which was something I said I would struggle with since the beginning of the semester. I still have the movie poster and the group conference project in order to improve my visual and oral modes of communication. Evidently, I won’t perfect my skills in these modes because it’s a gradual process, but I definitely believe I’ll improve at least a bit.

If I had more time, I would have practiced way more for my presentation. I would not rely on a script, and I would be more energetic. More generally, I would try to improve my oral and visual modes of communication because these modes are essential in the real world.

34. -My argument was that not only do our fears shape our dystopias but that our dystopias shape us too. I related this to 1984 and When We Wake and I mentioned Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451 as examples.
    -My intended audience were those who had read and discussed 1984 before and knew plenty about dystopias as a topic. It was targeted at the members of this class.
    -I feel like my presentation went well but not in the way that I expected. I’m bad at memorizing scripts so instead I had an outline of what I wanted to say for each slide and then I formed my thoughts into coherent sentences on the spot. I only stumbled once and I used few filler words
    -If I were to re do my presentation I wouldn’t bother writing a script because it messed me up. Instead I would focus on how I communicate with the audience better in a non verbal manner. I would have also liked to discuss a third book but time was short as it is.

35. My argument was that dystopian and utopian literature points out the flaws in current society and gives either solutions for these problems, or a warning of how they can escalate, especially when investigating the role of gender in society at a time and how it was depicted in each of these works. My purpose was to display how this was true in the context of my independent reading novel and other novels throughout history. I made this clear and persuasive by clearly stating my thesis and giving an overview of my evidence and then explaining my evidence in greater detail later in the presentation.

The powerpoint used in my presentation allowed me to use visual communication, and oral and nonverbal communication were the main focus in the spoken content. I used a power point and charts and visuals found on the web to help communicate my ideas as well as make my presentation look more professional.

The intended audience was those who were familiar with the young adult dystopian genre and novels discussed in class. This allowed me to not have to explain the basics of the genre, but rather focus on my specific interpretation and I did not have to explain in detail novels like Thomas More’s Utopia in which we had previously discussed in class.

Presenting my argument allowed me to condense my thesis and make it more specific and leave irrelevant information out of my paper. After my working on my presentation I decided to make my paper focus on how my independent reading novel came to discuss the feminist issues it does, and build my paper by introducing the factors that lead to this representation.

My strengths was relating my independent reading novel to the history I explained and my thesis. My weaknesses were with the research. When researching, I had trouble finding sources that supported my original thesis, so I had to adjust my thesis.

If I had more time for revision, I would try to make my argument more clear and focus on a specific time period instead of the broad one I discuss in my paper and presentation. This would allow my paper to have a stronger and more specific argument.

36. I thought my presentation went well in the sense that I wasn’t as nervous to speak as I thought I would be. My argument was that good YA dystopian novels should be taken more seriously in the world of literature; and my purpose make people aware of why YA literature often has a bad rep, and why certain authors were more successful than others.

I tried to use examples from novels to make this clear but according to my peer reviews it wasn’t. I tried to make the powerpoint more appealing by leaving less words on it and more pictures because i didn’t think it was necessary to write what I was saying.

My intended audience was teenagers and their teachers. This is an appropriate audience because the presentation was about YA lit. Presenting made me realize that my ideas for my research paper were too broad, and that I needed to narrows down my thesis.

Pretty much, my entire paper changed based off of the presentation and its feedback. In the future, I want to have more of my presentations memorized so I spend less time looking at a paper. If I could improvise, I would probably just re-write the entire presentation based off of the paper I have now.

37. -My argument for this presentation was that Uglies confronts issues about the insecurities that are present in our culture like many other dystopias. For my research, I was going to highlight how many other dystopias criticize aspects of society that we see as potential problems, connect it to Uglies, and then talk about how people see that as a problem.
    -The intended audience was fellow students in a professional setting. I kept it professional but not boring, as I incorporated Sponge Bob into one of the slides.
    -One of my strengths was that I was very passionate. One thing I need to work on (and make sure I do in my paper) is to not make it seem like my argument is about plastic surgery. I need to make sure I focus on how dystopias criticize insecurities and problems in our world and how the novel Uglies does this with beauty and cosmetic surgery.
    -If I had more time for revision, I would have definitely focused more on the dystopia aspect since it was closer to my thesis. Also, I would have talked about the book more than I did.

38. -In my presentation, I argued that the real world has many characteristics of a dystopia and these indicate the real world is a dystopia. This recognition of the real world as a dystopia incites philanthropic change.
    -The audience of the presentation was a class of peers that had read the same books I used in my presentation. This is appropriate because we all have generally the same background on dystopias.
    -I wish I would have added a philanthropic spin to my presentation to create more of a call to action. If I had time for revision, I would have worked on my pace while speaking a little more. I got really nervous and spoke fast during the end. I also would have made my graphics a little better.

39. 1. What was your argument and purpose, and how did you make them clear and persuasive in this presentation?
    My argument is how a protagonist can have different ways that their outlook on their soceity can change whether they believe their soceity is a dystopia or utopia. Also, how their idea of human nature and how they were raised have to do with this same duality.

2. Describe the methods and modes that were the focus of your communicative work in this project. What are the defining features of the genre or media you are using in this presentation?
    My main agenda in this presentation was to use pictures to make the main points and to make my presentation as interesting as possible to make for an overall appealing presentation. I wanted to make all of the attention on what I was saying rather than have a lot of text on the screen that is distracting.

My intended audience was my 1102 class but it was also meant for anyone who is interested in YA dystopian fiction and that have read some novels to have a general background on the main points of this genre.

strengths: my strengths in my opinion were definitely my presentation skills and addressing the audience and making my verbal communication interesting.
    weaknesses: my overall argument was weak so I am branching out to new topics in my research paper while including my origianal information as support.

40.  What was your argument and purpose, and how did you make them clear and persuasive in this presentation?
    My argument is that due to the fact that the same issues that are expressed in dystopian novels about communication are present in society today, we are living in a dystopia of communication that is manifested to a less exaggerated degree than those in the books we have read. To support this argument and make it clear and persuasive, I used examples from three different books and research that I had done.
     Describe the methods and modes that were the focus of your communicative work in this project. What are the defining features of the genre or media you are using in this presentation? How do you make the best possible uses of these features (affordances)?
    The presentation was a powerpoint presentation which allowed me to use written, oral, visual, and nonverbal modes of communication. This genre of presentation is defined by the use of slides with text and visuals to support a verbal presentation. This allows for complex messages to be explained through a variety of modes. I used a balance of text/quotes and images and did my best to communicate verbally and nonverbally.
     Who was the intended audience for your artifact; why is this an appropriate audience? How is your audience reflected in your presentation?
    Audience: the class, this was appropriate because we have been studying this topic of dystopian fiction all semester. I didn’t spend too long on explaining books we have read or reiterating things that we have already learned.

41. ♣ What was your argument and purpose, and how did you make them clear and persuasive in this presentation.
    – The argument of the presentation was the juveniles endure psychological trauma when convicted and punished for crimes they did not commit. However, over time, the psychological trauma can be overcome and mental healing can occur. The argument was presented to the audience at the beginning of the presentation and was mentioned throughout the presentation. The evidence provided made the case clear and the audience was able to be persuaded.
    ♣ Who was the intended audience for your artifact; why is this an appropriate audience? How is your audience reflected in your presentation?
    – The intended audience for the presentation was the immediate C2 class of English 1102, but also anyone interested in understanding punishment in YA dystopias. This is an appropriate audience because one should be able to understand a dystopia and the details of how a dystopia functions. The audience is reflected in the presentation because it dives straight into the evidence without giving detail or information as to what is a dystopia.
    ♣ How did the process of presenting your argument help to clarify the written version in your research paper? Did anything change in your paper based on the process of composing your presentation, giving your presentation or the feedback you received from your presentation?
    – The process of the presentation allowed me to see how I should write my paper. Dealing with the flow of the presentation helped me understand how the flow of the paper could best be organized. The organization of my paper did change with my presentation. I realized that certain parts of the paper were best towards the beginning and not the end, such as the descriptions of how juvenile punishments work.
    ♣ Reflect on your strengths and weaknesses in completing this project. Articulate areas and strategies you would like to focus on for continued improvement.
    – My strengths of the project were the presentation and presenting. I received positive feedback from my classmates. My weaknesses were trying to sort out the best way to present the information. I want to focus on how to make transitions and have better efficiency with the fluidity of a project or paper or presentation.

42. ♣ What was your argument and purpose, and how did you make them clear and persuasive in this presentation.

43. 1. What was your argument and purpose, and how did you make them clear and persuasive in this presentation?

My argument and purpose of my presentation is that through the themes of manipulation of resources, control, and law and order, YA dystopian governments prove to be social criticisms of society. I made this clear in my presentation through a slide which contained all three factions of my research along with their corresponding examples.

I used shapes and colors to indicate a transition in my talking points. I also utilized icons and arrows to showcase a point or indicate a flow of conversation.

3. How did the process of presenting your argument help to clarify the written version in your research paper? Did anything change in your paper based on the process of composing your presentation, giving your presentation or the feedback you received from your presentation?

The process of presenting my argument in class allowed me to organize my paper better. I ended up utilizing many of the elements I used to form the script to reform my research paper. The highlight of my conference paper was that I was able to use distinct transitions and followed an organized layout. This made it super easy to reconstruct and structure my final paper.

44. My argument was/is that technological surveillance within YA Dystopias is used to control the citizens within the dystopian society and as a result, large psychological effects are had on the characters within these novels.

My goal in this presentation was to concisely present what I plan to discuss in my research paper and I used powerpoint as my visual with images from each of the books that I discussed.

my intended audience was the peers that are in my english class— this is an appropriate audience because we have all read two of the books that I discussed in my presentation and I feel that everyone was able to understand the argument that I was making because they have read the books and understood firsthand what my point is.

Writing the script for the presentation helped me a lot in writing my essay because it made it easier for me to write down what it is easy for me to say out loud.

I think that I did a good job with this project but I worry that I didn’t rehearse enough before presenting and I think that I stuttered a couple of times—this can easily be improved by practicing more before another presentation

I would have altered my script a little bit and alluded more to concrete examples within the novels that I examined during the presentation

45. Argument/Purpose:
    The purpose of my conference presentation was to demonstrate my research on the topic of how YA dystopias can improve society by benefiting our youth. Although I has my information well prepared, some of my meaning may have been missed by the audience due to my nerves being a distraction.

Intended Audience/ How reflected:
    My main audience was my peers who are equally knowledgeable in the genre of YA dystopia and who also have a background in reading Hunger Games/ Little Brother. The targeting of this audience was reflected in my presentation by operating on the assumption that my audience already had experience working with YA dystopian literature. I focused less on explaining terms/phrases and more on giving deep evidence for my argument.

Strengths:
    I demonstrated my research well and I was prepared with a professional script to present off.

Weakness:
    I read off my script and talked too fast. My nervous demeanor distracted from my actual presentation.

Revision:
    If given a chance to revise, I would spend most of my time practicing giving my presentation rather than working on the script. I would work on seeming more natural when in front of groups of people rather than nervous.

46. What was your argument and purpose, and how did you make them clear and persuasive in this presentation?

-The purpose of my reserach was to prove the link between propaganda and the readers’ thoughts about the characters in dystopian novels or movies
    -This was made clear in my presentation in the introduction when I described my research in full
    -I utilized examples from texts we have read to make my point clear including references to The Hunger Games and Ender’s Shadow

-Intended audience were other intellectuals who would be interested in the development of research in the field of propaganda and modern literature
    -audience is appropriate because I catered my research paper after the already existing research done by Jacques Ellul, and to understand my research, it would be greatly beneficial to already know some of what I refer to and discuss
    -the audience is reflected in my presentation because I did not go into great detail about Ellul’s 6 categories that I did not focus on in that specific presentation, in the paper I go more into detail about each category, but for presentation purposes (mainly time constraint) I did not go into too much detail

Strengths:
    -complete understanding of the foundation of my research
    -ability to relate research to examples my audience could understand

Weaknesses:
    -time management
    -ability to explain the part of my research to do with subliminal messaging (felt that the audience didn’t understand that part as much)

-Presentation script would have been a little longer, bc presentation felt rushed and a little short
    -more practice, felt a little awkward at times and could have realized that some things I said probably didn’t make sense in the context I said them in
    -I would find a way to improve my non-verbal communication as that was what most people commented on in the review sheets for the presentation

47. 1. Argument: characters experience different levels of oppression in dystopian literature. I tried to make this argument clear/persuasive through character analysis in 3 different dystopian novels.

2. The modes I incorporated into this presentation were primarily visual and oral. I made sure to talk about key points, and to reiterate these points throughout the presentation to emphasize my argument. I also used photos to accompany text on each slide.

3. Classmates were my intended audience, since the people I am trying to convince are mainly peers around my age. Because my peers and I have read some of the same dystopian novels this semester, I made sure to include examples from Little Brother in my presentation.

4. It helped condense the main arguments of my research paper into an understandable and concise format. My paper is generally organized in the same way as my presentation. It starts off with the introduction, then examples in the body, and finally, the conclusion.

5. I think I was able to present the information in a (hopefully) logical manner. However, looking back, I feel like I was too concerned about getting my points across, that I didn’t focus on making enough eye contact with the audience. I lacked confidence, I spoke hurriedly, and my posture was not good. I do not have any particular fears about speaking to an audience, but non-verbal communication still needs huge improvement.

6. I would make sure that I address/engage with the audience more. Also, I could have not looked at the PowerPoint as much.

48. The point of these conference presentations is to let the audience see what you’ve been working on, ask any questions to test your thesis and/or evidence, and give you feedback on how to make your argument better. I was arguing that YA dystopia provides the perfect conditions for male characters to be released from their gender roles, which has an important impact on the young audiences reading about those characters. I tried to take a step-by-step approach and make the connections for my audience so they could see and understand my argument.

I used pictures of characters I was talking about so that if the audience didn’t really remember who they were from their name, I hoped they would recognize who I was talking about by their face. I also included some flowcharts to take them through my argument, and highlighted important topics through bullet points. I also flashed my thesis up on the screen instead of reading it in the hopes that it would stick better for the visual learners, but I’m not sure if I succeeded in that because to me it just felt a little awkward.

Presenting my argument was helpful for writing my paper mostly because it forced me to get a head-start on it. I wrote my presentation script and an outline for my paper at the same time, and that was last Wednesday, which has been good for giving me extra time to find more evidence and think about my argument even more. It also gave me more practice speaking in front of groups of people which is always invaluable.

If I had more time to revise, I would have added more content (both orally and visually) to make the presentation more engaging and interesting to the audience. I think I started to get a little boring by the end and I wish I had some more interesting things to say at that point.

49. I argued that dystopian novels reflect the power of big corporations and the influence of the media and propaganda in today’s world. I made this clear by putting the argument on a slide in my PowerPoint at the beginning.

For this project, I felt like the main focus of the modes was oral and nonverbal communication. This is because it was a spoken presentation. To help emphasize what I spoke in the presentation, I had a visual aid in the form of a PowerPoint. In this case, technology helped to support my oral communication.

Writing a script for this presentation helped me to work through some of the ideas I wanted to use in my argument for my research paper. It forced me to organize my thoughts in a comprehensible way. Presenting my work allowed me to get some feedback on my research from my classmates that helped me with my research paper.

I feel like one thing I did well was organize the information I wanted to share in a way that was easy for my classmates to comprehend. If I had more time to revise, I would have practiced more before my presentation so that I wouldn’t have to rely as much on the notes I had written to use while presenting. My strategy for next time would be to try practicing in the actual classroom to get a feel for what it would be like when I have to present.

50. My argument/purpose was to demonstrate the undeniable connection of historical failures to utopian literature, that one could not exist without the other. I made this point through the analysis of evidence and academic sources, showing examples and making relatable connections, as well as providing visuals to supplement the analysis.

The intended audience was anyone interested in utopian/dystopian literature, as these individuals may wonder what facilitates utopian thought and why it has been able to survive, and eve thrive, for such a long duration. Mostly, though, the presentation was aimed at college students taking this particular course in utopian literature. I reflected this audience through explaining key terms and using familiar language, connecting the ideas to things that they would know, such as math/physics equations and common phrases.

I think presenting helped me to see what the most important aspects of my argument were, and how to highlight these in the paper and tie all evidence back to these key topics. My paper became more refined and flows better as a whole as a result of this process. Sometimes, talking out a concept or idea helps you to understand it better yourself.

If I had more time for revision, I would add more examples of utopian/dystopian literature into my presentation, talking about specific instances in these works that reflected my argument distinctly. I would also try to include more factual evidence and statistics to solidify my claims.

51. My topic for the presentation and research paper is an argument as to why manipulation is paramount if dystopian literature. During the presentation, I addressed this subject by using four points which 1) outlined what manipulation was, 2) showed how characters were exploited by manipulation, 3) presented how manipulation appears in different dystopian societies and 4) identified the modes manipulation occurs in.

I created the PowerPoint while I had my classmates in mind. I knew that the class would “rate” my presentation, so I tried to keep the slides appealing while I discussed sources which everyone in the class should have been familiar with (like the Hunger Games). If I had doubt that the audience had not read the books that I talked about (like the Giver and Gathering Blue), I briefly explained the main plot of the story.

The process of working through my presentation allowed me to come up with ideas on how to outline my research paper. At the beginning of writing my paper, I had written about five topics which were unclear and unfocused. After I worked through preparing the presentation, I was able to organize my subjects and cut unnecessary “fluff” in my research paper.

I feel that my strengths for this project were primarily having organized slides which looked aesthetically appealing (I hope), but my weakness was my inability to convey my message in a more convincing way. Even though I had worked on presenting my PowerPoint multiples times, in front of a mirror, my roommate and even on video, when I was in the spotlight, all my courage and words left me. I had practiced a presentation which lasted around seven minutes, but my time in front of the class was under five minutes. Honestly, I am ashamed I wasn’t able to clarify more on my topic, especially when I felt that I had so much more to say. I hope in the future I will be able to present without focusing on forgetting my lines. I think a good way to improve is to practice even more and have someone actively point out mistakes I may be making or how to improve my presentation skills.

52. Argument & purpose:
    Consumerism alone can create a dystopia from a sociological standpoint—through comparison between consumerism’s effect on the dystopia in Feed and our current society.

Modes:
    Visual, electronic–PPT (with pictures) & handout (mindmap of my arguments & logic)
    oral, nonverbal–delivery of presentation (enthusiasm, eye contact, gestures, etc)
    written–script

Audience:
    professor & other students in my class, also could be anyone interested in dystopian literature. They are familiar with the genre of dystopian literature but not my independent reading book, Feed, so I gave a brief introduction on the background and characters in Feed.

Benefit:
    Because of the time limit, I had to cut many things from my paper, which helped me identify my most important supporting arguments. I deleted a whole paragraph from my rough draft as a result.

Strength:
    I can easily memorize my script and I don’t have much stage freight.

Weakness:
    I always talk way too fast in presentations.

Continued improvement:
    Oral & nonverbal skills—for example, vocal pause, and a greater variety of gestures.

More revision:
    Delete some stuff from my slides—I originally put them in because those were my evidence that I have no time to address but I’d like to show my work. Actually it might distract the audience.

53. Ð My argument for my presentation was that the propaganda used by dystopian governments to maintain control over the citizens works only so long as the citizenry act in their own interests. When a hero rises up, and continually looks to his/her own interests, then the hero is able to breaks the bond of propaganda’s control. I argued this through the lens of Red Queen as well as The Hunger Games.

Ð My presentation utilized all forms of WOVEN because of the PowerPoint that I used to supplement my speech. I similarly made full use of PowerPoint’s capabilities and incorporated multiple visuals, charts and graphs to make it easier for the audience to follow.

Ð My intended audience were those who were familiar with the YA dystopian genre and had already read the novel The Hunger Games. I made this assumption in my presentation by not explaining the plot lines and background information when I mentioned the series.

Ð The presentation was a good exercise to do because it helped improve your public speaking skills, as well as your ability to synthesize large portions of information (i.e. a research paper) and present only the meta points in a short period of time without losing the essence of the argument.

Ð If I were to redo my presentation, I would address a few more points in depth that I skimmed over, as well as practice a day or two more – I put the majority of my focus into the content and visuals of the presentation.