Carefully listen while crossing the street

cross-the-road
(The car tried to continue driving while a pedestrian was “in the way”.)

Audio:

Transcript:

“Good morning, now you can cross the Spring Street.” “Good afternoon, now you can cross the 5th Street.” “Be careful, someone drove across the stop line.” Standing by the cross road of 5th and Spring Street, I found the most common activities people were doing was waiting and crossing the streets. And I have to say, this activity is one of most dangerous activities here, and we do it every day. By looking at traffic light, we could easily figure out whether it’s time to go or not to go. But is it really safe to go when the light turns to be a walking signal? I doubt it. Standing here for about one hour during the peak-hour, I found a dangerous fact that some drivers tried to continue the driving when it’s time for pedestrians to cross the streets (or they might not notice the traffic light has changed). And in most of cases, the pedestrian didn’t realize a car had already crossed the stop line and they continued to walk. Usually, the car suddenly slammed the brakes on. Based on this, I think the traffic light system need some improve with the help of sound-directed interface and sensor.

Not only at the beginning or ending of crossing the street, but also during crossing the street, it will be better if the sound-directed interface is added to the traffic light system. When it’s time to cross the road, the system will speak with high pitch like “Good morning, it’s time to cross the Spring Street or it’s time to cross the 5th Street.” Vice versa. And specially but helpfully, a sensor will be installed in horizontal line of stop line. During the pedestrian’s time, if any car crosses the stop line regardless of the drivers’ intent, the alarm will run to warn the pedestrians to be careful and warn the driver to slow down. With the help of this sound-directed interface, I think it will be safer.

One comment

• Chandler Thompson

I like your idea to keep pedestrians safer, and definitely agree that this is an issue, but I’m not sure this would be truly feasible on a large scale. How would the crosswalk detect if a car crosses into the crosswalk? Would the detection at the crosswalk leave the driver enough time to not have to slam on the brakes anyway? On a second point, would the entire introduction of “Good Morning…” by the crosswalk be feasible? Some crosswalks have astonishingly short active walking periods (namely that intersection between freshman hill and Britain dining hall), and this entire bit may be too lengthy to fully play.