After reading the Narrative of the life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave the part that I found most intriguing was when Douglass talks about how he learned how to read. Douglass goes on to explain that he began to make friends with white boys that he would meet in the streets. In exchange for the boys teaching him to read he would give them bread that he had taken from his house. Douglass ends his story about how he learned to read by saying “This bread I used to bestow upon the hungry urchins, who, in return, would give me that more valuable bread of knowledge.” (Douglass 1199) One thing that really stood out to me about his story was that he was willing to trade away food, the key to surviving, for knowledge. One would think that most slaves would hold on to all the food they could get seeing as they were normally underfed, but not Douglass, he was more concerned with learning to read than he was about eating. When Douglass says that the “bread of knowledge” was more valuable than actual bread shows how important education and knowledge was to him. I found it interesting that Douglass uses the phrase “bread of knowledge”, to me,  he is implying that like bread is necessary for survival, to him, so is knowledge. This also shows that Douglass believed that knowledge was more important to survival than eating.

You must be logged in to leave a reply.