After reading “In Sorrow’s Kitchen” by Jessica Harris, I began to think about Southern food today as something that constantly surrounds us in Georgia. In recent years, cities like Atlanta have seen trends in modern “Southern Cooking”, and these restaurants have sprung up with increasing popularity and praise. This reimagining of cooking that has been around for centuries has interesting implications when we consider the ideas that Harris discusses in her work. Although I have no authority on the subject, it seems to me that there are generally two types of cuisine that have originated from the African inspired dishes of slaves that Harris explores – Soul food and Southern Food. To help define the difference between these two cooking styles, I have looked at a few articles including this one, and I will admit it is difficult to find a great distinction in the actual recipes and ingredients themselves. It is rather, it seems, the meaning that each cuisine implies. I came across many Southern cooking blogs, using cooking styles and ingredients that mirrored the ones that Harris describes in her writing, yet when I looked at the “about me” sections of these sites, I found only middle aged white women as the masterminds behind the recipes. The only blogs or recipe sites with a historical or cultural reference that I came across were composed by black women (and some men) and deemed their cooking “Soul food”. Based simply on these blogs, It seems to me that the adapted African cuisine, recreated by black slaves with American resources, has never been properly praised for its significance. It is only when these traditional dishes are whitewashed and claimed as Southern Cooking that these foods receive any recognition.

You must be logged in to leave a reply.