After reading about how Ben Franklin lived on a very basic diet in order to have more time to devote to his work, I was interested in finding out what effects this or more drastic diets could have.  Franklin was mainly fixed on saving time and money by composing his diet of low cost food and not indulging in drink.  Maybe due to my Industrial Engineering mindset, I wondered if he could improve his basic diet by eating even less and having more time for work.

In the article I found titled, albeit a very poorly titled article, “Can Skipping Meals Can Make You Healthier?”  the author advocates for three types of fasting that can make you healthier.  One is eating three meals in an eight hour window, while refraining from eating in the other sixteen hours.  Second is alternating a days when you do not eat from 6pm to the following 6pm, this way you still eat at least one meal everyday.  The last alternative the author writes about is to skip eating entirely every other day.  The only problem for the bread loving Franklin is that the author argues you can not depend on fast acting carbs for your meals.  The author advocates for eating foods with more fat and protein because the body will break these nutrients down slower helping you fast for a longer time.  So unfortunately again for Franklin, he would’ve had to give up his vegetarian diet to eat more meat for these fats and proteins, because I assuming for the time period there were not as many alternatives to meat to obtain fats and proteins that we are aware of and have a steady supply of today.  I think Franklin could be convinced to incorporate this type of fasting to his diet, because he would’ve had even more free time and saved more money on food.  He was able to give in to eating fish again, so I think over time he would give in to eating meat again.  Lastly from the article, I think if the author told Franklin that these kinds of diets reduce the risk of cancer, heart disease, and neurological problems, he would try one of the fasts out.

Link: http://wellnessmama.com/2012/fasting-to-be-healthy/

You must be logged in to leave a reply.