“Unsane”: Is it Experimental?

The link I have is an analysis of a recent experimental film that came out this year called “Unsane.” The article claims that this movie is experimental based on how the aspect that makes is so seems to be very modernized. While the author of the article praises the movie I myself am inclined to believe it is not very good provided that at my theater in Warner Robins Georgia, only one person came to see it, but I was still curious to what it is about and how it was created. The film seems like an “ordinary” thriller about a girl being hunted by a stalker after being checked into a Mental Institute. What makes this film Experimental is the fact that it was filmed completely on an iPhone. This is different from other “Found Footage” type films because this is the first movie filmed a cellular device. But is this film truly fit the definitions of Experimental film discussed in class.

For one, this film isn’t completely low budget. There is a pretty sizable cast (including a cameo Matt Damon and Juno Temple). Some of the experimental films like those seen in class had actors but not well-known movie stars. I feel as though experimental films wouldn’t be mainstream enough to warrant a large enough budget for these actors. Another point would be that this movie has a well-defined plot and theme to it. It doesn’t show the audience an artistic experience, rather it’s just another thriller movie filmed on cheap hardware. While the films shown in class weren’t necessarily filmed with better hardware for their time period, they still seemed to lack an easily comprehensible plot.

I for one do not believe this movie is not fully experimental, but it does have an interesting take on how to film a motion picture. As explained in the article, filming on the iPhone allows for quicker and more agile camera motions without the large bulky setups caused with normal films. On a sense it could potentially allow younger or otherwise more tech-wise views to connect relate of the “cinematography” of the film since just about anyone has seen YouTube videos or “vines” taken with cellphone cameras or simple recorders.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/steven-soderberghs-inspired-iphone-experiment-in-unsane