Mapping Genres with “The Great Map of Movieland”

With so many different types of genres in film, it can be difficult to know where to place each movie. It can be especially difficult because so many films also cross genres, such as the science-fiction/horror film Alien (Ridley Scott, 1979) or The Cabin in the Woods (Drew Goddard, 2011), which is hard to classify between being a comedic spoof or a true horror.

As I was searching for a way to easily visualize a classification of where different films lie in their respective genres, I came across this awesome map that someone on Reddit put together. 

“The Great Map of Movieland” by David Honnorat

While a bit daunting with all the different data points, I find this map incredibly awesome. The “Countries” of the map represent some main genres: Horror Lakes = horror films, Super Valley = superhero movies, Valley of Love = romance, etc. Genre defining movies are marked by stars or “city” emblems. What’s most interesting for me is looking at the cross-genre films that are located on the borders of each of the “genre countries”. Blade Runner, for example, can be seen on the intersection of “Action Bay” and “Sci-Fi Mountain”.

I highly recommend everyone take a quick at this infographic, and I’d love to hear some thoughts or cool finds that you all can discover! Also see if you can find some of our feature films on there!

Some interesting features that I’ve found: Bridge of Spies (C1) is an actual bridge and Shutter Island (E4) is an island. Thought that was pretty cool attention to detail. Also, our feature film The Dark Night is located at F7 right on the Super Valley” border line.