Throughout this unit, I’ve mostly thought about the idea of how the concept of hybrid materiality and how that relates to our learning experiences. We have already discussed and seen examples with the paper circuits, the Between Page and Screen, etc of things represented in a hybrid manner. A lot of what we’ve looked at is using technology to expose us to other information, concepts, or experiences, and I think that is similar to how many modern students have been taught, especially at Tech. We are usually taught classes like English through the use of technology, or using other components to help us express ourselves with newer topics (new to us) using more familiar areas. I think this qualifies as being hybrid, and that it is becoming more popular in teaching/learning. There are many different pushes to change the way we learn and teach children new subjects, and I think you can get a lot more out of something if it involves multiple disciplines. Like the Between Page and Screen, we get a new experience by combining the two aspects of the project: the physical book and the animation on the screen. In this case, we cannot read the book without both parts, and although we still can learn topics separately, I think it means much more in tandem. I have had many classes that try to keep us interested with what we are already more familiar with, or try to relate new or challenging concepts to our major areas of interest to engage us in the new lesson and its possible applications. Moving forward, I think the concept of hybrids is going to become more and more common as we change and adapt to new ideas, many of them will become combinations of existing ones.

2 Comments

1. The concept of hybrid has already somewhat entered into some schools. The FIRST robotics program FLL (FIRST Lego League) literally has elementary and middle school students building robots with Legos. Though not exactly aligning with all the aspects of hybrid we’ve talked about, it has the kids take something that is familiar to them and apply it to the task of learning problem solving through robotics. Even the basic programming language has a user interface that is designed like puzzle piece blocks to make it easier to teach students the basic concepts for programming.

2. Interestingly enough, I actually started to think about “hybrid education” when we started discussing the concept of the “hybrid” in class. I can’t think of too many examples of having hybrid learning that fall in line with the concept of hybrid (besides book animations that help to depict more information about what we read in class and Between Page and Screen from 3314), but I think it can definitely help education in the future. Between Page and Screen is doing something I’ve never even thought about existing; however, I feel that honing in on this kind of technology could help reveal more about different topics we learn about in class. For example, there is an app that can scan textbook pages, and convert them into smaller sections that are more easy to understand, so students can have more in-depth understandings of course topics. By specializing in hybrid technologies, I think we can really make education more interesting and accessible in the future.

You must be logged in to leave a reply.