Reading Codex, by Lev Grossman, I felt pulled into the story right away. Maybe I was susceptible simply because I have always liked books, and looking in the back part of the library that was hardly touched. I could smell the books Wozny interacted with as they were described. It was a story I had lived myself multiple times, in some ways.

Ironically, lately I have started going digital. I even got the Kindle version of Codex. But I definitely miss holding the physical book in my hands, turning the pages carefully, and that musty book smell everyone says they hate, except for me, and the occasional like-minded person. Grossman took these ideas to the point that it was easy to recall similar instances, and in that regard, it was not so bad as a digital book.

I felt like I was in the puzzle. Grossman put us in the middle of this story, with all of these things, and changing technology. It was literally at the beginning of the change. Computer games were relatively new, but they were a thing. And they were already detracting from the time people spend with their nose in books. It was a clear documentation of the turn of the century, fiction though it may be.

One of my favorite parts of this book, and very archive-centric is how the clues are hidden. To find the codex, they had to go through a serious archive, layered with security measures. They had to read through the wordplay, and commit sacrilege to find the holy grail. An enjoyable twist.

You must be logged in to leave a reply.