I was very unfamiliar with the Zodiac at first and not too sure how the plot was going to unfold, but as the story progressed I became more intrigued by how it was going to end. This story based on true events had a very interesting relation to archives. As I watched the movie and saw how each police department and individual involved in the case had their own perception of the murders organized in a way that best suited them; I really understood the power of an archive. Each archive in this movie helped bring a new perspective into the case, from the police department that focused on getting evidence solely around the handwritings to the one concerned with the finger prints from the cab, and we even get another perspective with the military grade boot print. Each perspective lead the police to believe another person committed the crime. Similar to an archive where the creator of a collection; in this case a collection of evidence, can create what they want the public or investigators to believe. Pretty much parallel to a historical archive, where the creators dictate what goes in and how the audience views the collection.

I believe with the help of different collections and viewpoints and the variety of materiality involved in this case allows the cartoonist to collect all the relevant “dots “to pinpoint the killer. First with his ability to use different mediums to conduct research such as the libraries, police evidence, and personal collections of people involved, Robert Graysmith dissects each archive in an analytical manner that takes multiple years, but surprisingly the longer the time span took, the relevant the clues were, very similar in my mind to how an archive with adequate time becomes more and more relevant and important.

You must be logged in to leave a reply.