A Picture Book isn’t childish in content: an analysis of “I need my Monster” by Amanda Noll

Although picture books are typically structured towards younger children (preschoolers and whatnot), the concept behind the picture book, as well as specific intricacies and peculiarities regarding the design of every page, is extremely complicated. In the world of drama, they say that the best actors are the ones who you don’t realise are acting at all. The same could be said about picture books. The best picture books surreptitiously convey a story through design features such as colour, framing and word location and readers – both young and old – would never realise this.

In this blog, I will be analysing Amanda Noll’s “I Need my Monster,” which is about a little boy, Ethan, who looks for substitute bed monsters as his personal monster, Gabe, is gone fishing. A simple story and concept to execute, of course, but the design of each page is as complex and metaphorical as some of the best paintings out.

bp5p1
Take this page for example. First thing to notice is the vast juxtaposition of colour. Between Ethan and Herbert is a gradient of colour, ranging from bright whites and yellows to dark greys, blues and blacks. This is particularly evident when you scan your eyes across the bed sheet – as you move further down the bed sheet, it gets darker. The colour scheme separates Ethan and Herbert’s personalities and characters, differentiating between the moody Herbert and the bubbly Ethan, whilst as well establishing the “monster at the end of the bed” motif.
Next thing you notice is the interaction of text and image. The movement of the text “hih-huh, hih-huh” down the bed brings life to the character of Herbert. Thus, there is life behind Herbert’s breathing – the subsequent moving down the bed suggests that it isn’t scary to Ethan at all. Furthermore, the usage of smaller font and an isolated paragraph in “Herbert’s panting… it wasn’t enough for me” detaches the reader from the monster’s plea for recognition. Upon reading this paragraph, one might recognise that there is a change-of-pace and shift in emotion, signifying Ethan’s disinterest in Herbert. The positioning and use of small font is simply designed as a detraction from the scene presented.
Finally, and in my opinion the least recognisable aspect but best executed section of the page, is the full-framing of the scene across the spread. The large framing creates a homely feel to the entire “meeting of a monster.” Typically, in horror films (or films trying to scare you), we are presented with a limited field of vision to force us to focus on the scene for extra fright. However, this idea is flipped in this scene – spreading the entire photograph across the two pages makes the reader feel comfortable with the situation of “meeting a scary monster.” The reader is no longer are forced to focus or overthink a certain situation with a limited FOV. Instead, the reader feels at home with nothing to fear as they are able to visualise the entire scene.

In this simple spread alone, there are a variety of interesting design techniques that Noll uses to convey a simple message. In the three I presented alone, a reader experiences a multitude of emotions and shifts in mindsets, from one of eeriness to one of immediate disinterest.

Picture books aren’t just for kids, you know

This entry was posted in Blog Post 5, Section J5 and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to A Picture Book isn’t childish in content: an analysis of “I need my Monster” by Amanda Noll

1. Yunqing Jia says:

The first thing I noticed about this illustration was also the gradient of colors. The audience’s eyes are first drawn to the light source and then move along the page to the side where the monster is and where the colors appear more in cold tones. I agree with you that people don’t really think about the design techniques that go into picture book making and often don’t think twice about how they reacted to the story the way they did. You did a good job analyzing the rhetorics, interactive designs, and color scheme of this illustration and provided great insights into reading the book with a different mindset.

2. Shaan Patel says:

I like how you point out the gradient of color, Nick, because it is one of my favorite parts of this whole illustration. That one element is like the defining element, and it shows the overall nature of Ethan vs. the monsters. I agree how it separates Ethan’s personality with the monster’s personality. It shows the classic monster under the bed while giving it a twist with color. I also like the way the author lets the text flow with the text “hih-huh, hih-huh, hih-huh.” These elements, along with the small text, make it so that the reader feels less scared with this monster. The shading is also soft with its colors which even adds more to the fact that the author wants the reader to not be so scared. I also agree with the point you make about seeing the whole scene. Most scary scenes are when you can’t see what’s coming, and you’re expected to guess and assume that something scary is coming. Since this illustration shows the whole scene, the reader is to assume that this is a friendly environment.

3. Evangelos Katsoudas says:

Wow that was an incredibly written analysis of 2 pages out of Noll’s “I need my Monster”. You did a great job of selecting 3 main aspects of the pages which you felt made this picture book special. I agree with all of your points that the use of color, text, and point of view all enhance the author’s objective of providing a simple story that is excellently put all together in text and visuals. I personally love the way Noll used shadows to provide different color contrasts. The lamp provides all of the light but darkness comes the further down and right you travel across the page. Also the warped bed post on the end of the page does a great job with corresponding with the hih – huh text. This also contributes to showing a disinterest between Ethan and the monster. I wish you best of luck for creating your own picture book and you should try to implement some of the techniques in this book in your own story.