Into the Garden of Mr. McGregor’s

Who wouldn’t like cute animals?

Anthropomorphous animal is an eternal theme of Beatrix Potter’s picture book. Among all the fictional animal figures she created in these turning leaves, the naughty rabbit in blue jacket is no doubt one of my favorite. The Tale of Peter Rabbit, the very first of 24 Tales created by Potter, tells the adventure of a mischievous young rabbit into a dangerous garden of a grumpy farmer. In this blog post, I want to focus on an electronic version of the picture book, “Popout! The Tale of Peter Rabbit”, developed by Loud Crow Interactive Inc. available on iTunes Store.

tale-of-peter-rabbit-02-960x720

The Tale of Peter Rabbit was created by Beatrix Potter in 1902.

As the written component of WOVEN mode, the language in the entire book are rather concise. While this small amount of text mainly serves to deliver the plot, Potter was still able to maintain the tension and a sense of action. She took a very friendly tone, and brought her young audiences completely into the garden of Mr. McGregor’s.

peter-rabbit4

The language in the book is rather cute and concise. It syncs perfectly with Potter’s illustration.

In her work, Potter primarily employed a combination of colored pencil sketching with watercolor style – this rendered an extremely fine touch of the image. The color is saturated and presents a bright image. Also, the use of collage creating the shadows on background adds a sense of space.

There’s huge amount of details in every illustration – from the rabbit hairs on their tail tips to the leaves on the bushes, Potter made great effort turning every illustration into gorgeous artwork.

prscreengrab04

Illustrations are able to convey Non-verbal mode of communication such as facial expression, body language.

The unique electronic format renders a much more interactive experience. For example, when Peter’s sisters, Flopsy, Mopsy and Cottontail are picking blackberries from the garden, there are blackberries popping out from the side of the book and rolling to the opposite edge. This brings action into the reading and would capture young readers immediately. Also, electronic version features sliding and flipping mechanics that allows readers to set the illustrations in action. While it’ll be great for young children to play about the book, parents might find it to be a bit of a distraction.

screen568x568

Electronic adaptation provides extra interaction with readers: the blackberries on the screen are clickable and will react to gravity.

As per assignment sheet, we’ll need to hand in a physical copy of the picture book. Therefore, we might not be able to employ the unique features of this app. However, there are some inspirations and takeaways that I concluded from this work:

• Try popouts!
  • Try short text boxes and short sentences!
  • Try alternative formats of the book; perhaps different methods of book binding.

Finally, a link to the iTunes store page if the hyperlink above does not work:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/popout!-tale-peter-rabbit/id397864713?mt=8

This entry was posted in Blog Post 5, Section C2 and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Into the Garden of Mr. McGregor’s

1. Steven Creech says:

I think that this interactive version of Peter Rabbit is awesome. I personally prefer hard copies of books rather than electronic copies, but I like the idea of an interactive book. I actually remember as a kid having some books with interactive features. There were cuts in the page, and then a tab with a piece of paper, and you would slide the piece of paper, and when sliding the paper the picture would move. I think this would be slightly difficult to create if you aren’t extremely crafty, and if you try to create something like this I feel like it would be very easy to mess up, but I think your final point is the best part, to try something different. Pop ups may be easier than doing a sliding mechanism, but just trying something different will allow your book to stand out and seem more creative; especially if you can incorporate your creative aspect into the story telling.

2. Mingyuan Zhou says:

When I was young, I was so engaged by the Peter Rabbit. I still remember that I had a Peter Rabbit doll and always slept with it. Although my mom always reminded me that I cannot be as naughty as Peter, I thought that I gradually became more naughty all the time. I even desired to become a rabbit and live in the field and escaping from mean farmers and sleep peacefully in my own cave. Peter Rabbit was essential in my childhood, not only because the story was funny, but also because I love the Peter’s courage throughout the entire story. Indeed, I used to be like Peter at home. All my cousins were quiet and followed elders’ orders, but I might disobey and make some mistakes all the time. However, my childhood is colorful under Peter Rabbit’s effect. Although I haven’t read the derived stories of Peter Rabbit, (I remember that my grandma once told me many other stories related,) I like the purest and innocent stories without serious ethics.