Creating a Picture Book to Entice all Audiences

Image result for because a little bug went ka-choo

Rosetta Stone’s “Because a Little Bug went Ka-CHOO” is very popular in the market of children’s picture books.  The book tells the story of how a small bug causes, with only a “Ka-CHOO,” a seed to fall on a worm, the worm to kick a tree, a coconut to fall on a turtle, the turtle to splash a chicken, the chicken to kick a bucket, the bucket to get stuck on Farmer Brown’s head, and so on until the whole town is in complete chaos.

Image result for because a little bug went ka-choo page 1Image result for because a little bug went ka-choo page 1

Combining multiple written and visual communication techniques such as a rhyme scheme and impossible, illustrated, situations as shown on the second to last page below, Stone creates a product enjoyed by both children and adults.  The visual layout of the picture book is quite attractive to the young mind as its images fill out the whole space of each page, and they are full of lively color, also as shown in the two selected pages below.  As well, the second to last page of the book puts everything together into a final, chaotic, explosion of creativity that actively catches the reader’s eye at every corner of the page.

capture17

It is those small details such as the policeman running with a side car as if he was holding his skirt and the turtle running like a human that stick in the minds of the children.  The book is a drawn out cause and result situation, like a Rube Goldberg machine, where something happens, and thus, something else happens and so on.  For example, Stone writes “Because he got hit, the worm got mad.  Because he got mad, he kicked a tree,” showing this cause and result format perfectly.  This idea draws audiences close to the text as they eagerly wait to see what bizarre situation will unravel on the next page. Who would have known that a chicken can kick a bucket that high into the sky and land it perfectly on Farmer Brown’s head?

The text creates a hardly believable image of a situation that is found to be humorous to both children and adults, and when the pictures combine with the text, the unbelievable situation becomes even more humorously unbelievable. On the second to last page, shown above, it is hard to believe that this situation could get out of hand, but when the illustration in combined with the text, it becomes even more humorous and the audience can now visualize the impossibility of it.  The pictures convey many occupations that may appeal to young audiences such as firefighters, policemen, and clowns and the text has a rhyme scheme that easily appeals to all audiences and is easily remembered.

Image result for dr seuss

Stone uses personification in showing that the chicken, bug, and worm have human-like behaviors, onomatopoeia such as “KA-CHOO”, a ton of imagination and creativity, and a notable lack of logos to turn a minuscule event into a large, impossible, humorous situation.  Through Stone’s imagination turned into the children’s book “Because a Little Bug went Ka-CHOO,” the world attains an exemplary children’s picture book that incorporates the valuable elements of written and visual communication that makes children’s books appealing.

This entry was posted in Blog Post 5, Section B2 and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Creating a Picture Book to Entice all Audiences

1. Denny Lee says:

I actually don’t remember ever reading this one. I think that if I did when I was a kid, I wouldn’t have caught these cause and effect scenarios. I like how this book teaches kids a huge lesson about consequences. Even though I probably wouldn’t have completely understood this concept when I was young, it still would’ve introduced the idea to me and I think that’s important. I also agree with you about the amazing visuals this book has to offer. It’s crazy how creative the author was when making this so that the kids would be focused and not get bored. Overall great analysis!

2. Alexander Lopez says:

I love these types of books that really push the limits of our creativity and draw us, as an audience, into these unbelievable situations. This book reminds me a lot of another picture book I read a kid called, “If You Give a Mouse a Cookie”. They both follow the same general pattern of some small action setting off a larger chain reaction. I believe that these types of books are actually very important to read to children because they can serve to teach kids two big lessons: first, actions have consequences, and two, no matter how small you are, you can still make a big impact. I also think that these books would not be nearly as affective at delivering those messages without their pictures. The pictures serve an important purpose in that they put these actions and reactions into to perspective. This is important because, in most cases, a kid may not be able to comprehend the irony of a situation when the read it. However, by showing them how unreal it is in a picture, they can begin to a better idea of the significance of the situation