Millennials Gone Crazy

Link to article: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/20/fashion/millennials-mic-workplace.html

*********Claims 1-7 have specific evidence.

Claim 1: “But running an office made up exclusively of millennials, it turns out, is not without its snags.”

Evidence: His philosophy was tested when Mr. Pavelski, Mic’s director of programming, requested a week off, ostensibly to attend a wake back home in Wisconsin. “I went to talk to Joel and said, ‘So sorry about your loss, take as much time as you need,’” Mr. Altchek said. Then, several days later, he noticed Mr. Pavelski tweet a link to Medium, a popular blog for cathartic, personal essays. In a post titled, “How to Lose Your Mind and Build a Treehouse,” Mr. Pavelski wrote about feeling burned out at work and wanting to rebuild a childhood treehouse as therapy. The first line read, “I said that I was leaving town for a funeral, but I lied.”

This claim is supported by personal experience that specifically occurs in Mic’s workplace, and as a result, the claim overgeneralizes workplaces in which millennials are the majority. The evidence provided for this claim is personal evidence. The claim can be misleading due to its generalization. (personal and partly true)

Claim 2: But even in an office that is tolerant of youthful boundary pushing, some millennial behavior can cross the line.

Evidence: Mr. Altchek recalled a companywide meeting last September that coincided with the religious holidays Yom Kippur and Eid al-Adha. An Anglo-Pakistani employee asked why management had announced a flexible time off policy for the Jewish holiday, but not for its Muslim counterpart.

“So I told her, ‘Great point, being inclusive and respectful of all religious affiliations is incredibly important to Mic,’” Mr. Altchek said.

Afterward, in front of a smaller group, he was approached by a younger, entry-level employee who said that there were two words missing from his reply. “I was a bit confused and said, ‘O.K., what were those?’” he recalled. “And she said: ‘I’m sorry. I didn’t hear an apology.’”

Mr. Altchek did not think such a comment belonged in a workplace, especially his.

“I was a little taken aback by the tone, but I told her I would address it and make sure the person who asked the question wasn’t offended by the answer,” he said. “You have to control your temper. It was in front of a bunch of people, which was probably better, because I was forced to be calm.”

This claim is backed up by more events that occurs in Mic’s workplace, and it can best be defined as personal, accurate evidence. The claim is partly true because these events actually happened. (personal and partly true)

Claim 3: A sense of entitlement is not the only stereotype attached to millennials in the workplace.

Evidence: “Entitled, lazy, narcissistic and addicted to social media,” according to CNBC. “They Don’t Need Trophies but They Want Reinforcement,” Forbes wrote. “Many millennials want to make the world a better place, and the future of work lies in inspiring them,” Fast Company proclaimed.

This claim is true because the author provides factual evidence from other reliable sources. Evidently, these sources are biased, but the information they provide is all backed up by studies and research. (factual and true but there are some fallacies)

Claim 4: Older managers confused by why millennials like to Snapchat with co-workers, or don’t want to pay their dues with grunt work, had better get used to it.

Evidence: Last year, millennials edged out Generation X (35 to 50 years old in 2015) as the largest share of the labor force, according to the Pew Research Center. What’s more, millennials have also surpassed baby boomers.

This piece of evidence is also factual, and it can be trusted because it’s backed up by research from a research center. It is probably the most accurate piece in the whole article. (factual and true)

Claim 5: Millennial news has significant competition for eyeballs.

Evidence: According to the data provider comScore, Mic had about 19 million unique visitors in January, compared with 79.7 million for BuzzFeed, with five other competitors falling in between.

In order to stress the significance of millennials and their impact on society, the author provides factual evidence from BuzzFeed. (factual and true)

Claim 6: Mic apparently isn’t a good fit for everyone.

Evidence: Madhulika Sikka, who left NPR last year to join Mic as executive editor, announced earlier this week that she was leaving the website, saying on Twitter that she was “ready to take on something new.”

To show that Mic only provides the type of worker for specific people, the author cites Madhulika Sikka, who implies that workers must not fear something new. (personal and false because different workers may want to work there due to other factors such as pay, work environent, etc)

Claim 7: Mr. Pavelski, the prevaricating treehouse builder, remains notably unchastened.

Evidence: Perhaps because of this very culture of workplace-as-reality-show[…]

“Maybe this is because I’m young, but, like, I don’t think that there is a lot about my personal life that I wouldn’t want to incorporate into what I’m doing professionally,” he said. “The reason I wrote that essay in the first place was about catharsis, and I wanted to walk through my thought process and figure out what was going on with me.”

The author cites Mr. Pavelski himself to back up his claim that he feels subdued. (evidence is true)

I bet this is how everyone at Mic feels:

Literally. A lot. Lol.

Literally. A lot. Lol.

This entry was posted in Blog Post 3, Section B2 and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Millennials Gone Crazy

1. Jackson Bailey says:

Wow oh wow, what an extensive fact check! For the first claim, you could also point out that he has only 1 piece of evidence. The fact that it a personal account can be actually a great thing … when it accompanies a larger statistic. However, when sitting alone, a personal account on something can easily be refuted, which is great for you! Overall, I think you could pick 3-4 of the claims, and go more in-depth on how you will attempt to refute them. It seems that you have a lot of options, but going after so many could be a bad thing as they can take away from each other.

2. Andrew Morris says:

I think that the article you picked was very interesting. I think that the article does cite a couple “facts” from other sources but those are mostly opinions. Most of the information that is in the article is just from word of mouth and based on events that took place in the workplace and not data driven facts. I think that you could argue that this is one workplace and not representative of all millennial run workspaces. I think that a lot of the peculiarities of the workspace were not due to it being run by millennials but instead because it was a media company for millennials. I think that it would be interesting to compare Mic to another millennial run company or company that was started by millennials such as facebook. Overall I thought that the original article was very interesting and it also makes you think of the people who are behind the news that you are reading.