Millennials Don’t Suck (Fact Check)

Editorial (I’m a millennial and my generation sucks written by Johnny Oleksinski):

http://nypost.com/2016/07/04/im-a-millennial-and-my-generation-sucks/

Summary: This article’s looks at the millennial generation from the eyes of a millennial. The article claims that millennials are entitled, lazy, self-absorbed, and irresponsible. The author then uses examples and statistics (which I will be fact checking), and then calls action to millennials to “turn it around”.

millennial-picture

Claim 1: “2016 hasn’t exactly been a banner year for the Lousiest Generation.”

Partially True: When looking at the evidence given by Oleksinski, he only gives negative examples of millennials which support his argument that “millennials are the worst”. However, Oleksinski fails to acknowledge some of the amazing feats that millennials have accomplished; for example, many of the athletes who competed in the Olympics were millennials, or even just the high school graduation rate which has been higher than it has been in the past two decades (U.S. Chamber of Commerce). When you look at the big picture, yes there have been some disappointing accomplishments of millennials, but there have also been amazing accomplishments of millennials.

Evidence used:

1. “First there was Talia Jane, the dopey, 25-year-old Yelp employee who was rightly fired for whining about her low salary on social media.”

Fact Check: True, the author Oleksinski linked this evidence to the article which stated that Talia had actually wrote an open letter to the CEO complaining about her salary; however, the article appeared on the same website (nypost.com) that his own article was published. Since he took this evidence from the same place he publishes, it might be able to be said that he was biased when collecting this example.

1. “Next came the 27-year-old Mic writer who told his boss he was taking time off for a funeral when he was actually building a tree house.”

Fact Check: Partially True, Oleksinski linked the article again, and the man (Joel Pavelski) did pretend he was going to a funeral to build a tree house which is true. However, Oleksinski failed to mention that Pavelski was having a mental breakdown, and thought it would be easier to lie about a funeral than to explain his mental issues.

1. “(One post on the “Bernie or Bust” Facebook group reads, “I don’t want to be friends with you if you support Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump.”)”

Fact Check: Unknown, when searching on facebook, I checked to see if there was a post with the quote used; however, when looking in the BERNIE OR BUST group, and on the entirety of facebook, I was unable to locate the post. Thus, the post may have been deleted or made up for this article. Also no link was given for this resource.

image

Claim 2: “By absolving ourselves of responsibility, we’ve become forever 8-year-olds, tattling on the world in hopes it will better our situation. It won’t. It will only make it crummier.”

Partially True: Oleksinski supports his claim that millennials aren’t responsible and being childish by showing that we lack commitment, and we get showered with accolades that aren’t necessarily earned (participation trophies), and these have caused the millennials to be childlike as they become adults. However, Oleksinski fails to mention that it takes longer to grow up in modern society because college has become an essential to getting a stable job, so millennials go to college for about four to six years after they are expected to be “grown up”, so they seem childish.

Evidence used:

1. “Last week, Hastings High School in Westchester, NY, handed out 87 commendations at its Senior Awards Ceremony. The graduation class size? 141 teens. A Reason Foundation survey found 58 percent of 18- to 29-year-olds think their own generation is entitled. Huh. Why could that be?”

Fact Check: Unknown, there were no articles that I could find that explicitly supported this statistic; however, I found that the ranking of Hasting High School is 33rd in NY. The AP participation rate is 82% (US News). At a school with a high ranking, and high AP participation, it wouldn’t be unusual for 62% to receive commendations.

Source: http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/new-york/districts/hastings-on-hudson-union-free-school-district/hastings-high-school-13743

1. “According to Gallup, in 2016, 21 percent of the commitment-phobes left their job after less than a year. Sixty percent are open to it. The “Where do you see yourself in five years?” question has never been more redundant, because the answer is almost definitely “Not here.” “

Fact Check: True, however, the article where Oleksinski got this statistic also says “one in two millennials say they would consider taking a job with a different company for a raise of 20% or less” which is simply just economics. If someone is offering to pay more for a job, then people are likely to move where they can make more money. Thus, it can be assumed that some of these “commitment-phobes” are actually changing their job to make more money not because they are afraid of commitment.

Found the source to be: http://www.gallup.com/businessjournal/194204/millennials-job-hoppers-not.aspx?g_source=21%20percent%20of%20millennials&g_medium=search&g_campaign=tiles

1. “A US Chamber Foundation study said work-life balance drives the career choices of 75 percent of millennials.”

Fact Check: True; however, a balance between work and life isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Balancing work and life is a healthy life style, so it only makes sense to live a life that is balanced.

Found the source to be: https://www.uschamberfoundation.org/reports/millennial-generation-research-review

This entry was posted in Blog Post 3, Section C2 and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Millennials Don’t Suck (Fact Check)

1. Mingyuan Zhou says:

When I looked at your editorial, I found that your editorial is similar with mine, both of which talk about the negative characters of millennials. After I read your blog, I think I can learn a lot and improve my own analysis. First, your editorial has a really clear organization. Only by reading the summary, I can immediately understand the editorial and your concerns towards it. Also, I can see that you use several evidences to prove one claim. For the first claim, I totally agree that Oleksinski only focused on the negative aspect of millennials and ignored many amazing accomplishments. I tracked down for the evidence of Yelp and also found that his examples seem biased because all of his resources are cited from people with similar background, age and viewpoints with him. It’s undoubted that older people are more likely to criticize younger generation based on the aspect they got in touch. However, these trivial relations cannot truly decide the characters of millennials.

2. Zijin Luo says:

I like your clear structure demonstrating your thoughts. I chose this article as my editorial as well. Mostly, we share many identical or similar views on the claims and evidence the article mentioned. In your fact-check and explanation of claim 2, you cited “Last week, Hastings High School in Westchester, NY, handed out 87 commendations at its Senior Awards Ceremony. The graduation class size? 141 teens. A Reason Foundation survey found 58 percent of 18- to 29-year-olds think their own generation is entitled. Huh. Why could that be?” In my fact-check, I didn’t find anything about this evidence, either, but I found another evidence to counter this claim: the College Board Financial Grant ratio. Based on my research, the rate that students receive financial support from college board in that area is dramatically lower than 60%. That means even though the data used in this case is true, it is still an extreme case, and it cannot represent the whole group of students and Millennials. Also, I find out this school is one of the best high school in the country. It is not so astonishing that this high rate of students receiving honor titles on their graduation.

3. Yingnan Zhang says:

I appreciate the structure of your blog because it gives the readers a very clear vision of what the editorial is talking about and how it has been deconstructed. So good job on this! As for the first claim, I totally agree with you on the analysis that Oleksinski has ignored those positive sides of millennials who are contributing to the society. However, from my perspective, this claim should be refuted not only because of the lack of millennials’ contributions but also the lack of data support. Since Oleksinski is arguing with a frame called “2016”, data seems to be necessary to explain that why “2016” needs to be mentioned. This is like if someone is proving that a particular year has the highest rate of the car accident, it does not make sense if he or she only mention two or three car accidents, without any specific data. I especially like your analysis of claim 2. As I found when I was writing the blog, many of the authors failed to take the historical and social context into consideration, so they may not consider that millennials are receiving high education at the age when people in the past are getting married and passing the milestones of entering their adulthood. So it shows that you have considered the problem from a comprehensive perspective. In all, it’s a good work!