No, you really are a millennial.

Link to my editorial (click on picture):

My marked up text: editorial

Claims & Evidence:

Claim 1 (True): “I (the author) am a millennial” (para 1).

• Evidence: “Anyone born between 1981 and 1997 has been thrust into that category, and I was born in 1983” (para 1).
  • Evidence: “Millennials will soon overtake baby boomers as the United States’ largest living generation” (para 1).

Claim 2: “The concept of a generation used to refer only to families, parents versus children” (para 2).

• Evidence: The author uses no evidence to back up her claim.

Claim 3 (False): “Modern demographers and magazine editors name generations to help draw cultural distinctions. Yet there is no universal method for drawing the line between one generation and the next” (para 2).

• Evidence: The author uses no evidence to back up her claim. In addition, her claim is wrong because there are set years that define generations.
    • http://www.wmfc.org/uploads/GenerationalDifferencesChart.pdf

Claim 4: “Both 1981 and 1982 strike me as too early to begin the millennial generation…those of us born in the first half of the 1980’s are different from those born in the ’90s and even the late ’80s” (para 4).

• Evidence: “‘Generations,’ according to a 2010 Pew report, ‘have personalities'” (para 4).
    • Her source is accurate, however, she fails to take into account that all people are different. Yes, generations have personalities but within that generation are completely different people. She does not see herself as part of the “millennial” generation because she has quite a different “personality” as said millennials. By her logic she is classifying all millennials to have the same personalities, which is where I believe her argument falls short. She is different just as people within the millennial generation are different.

Claim 5: “No matter what the demographers say, I’m not a millennial” (para 8).

• Evidence: This claim is based upon her own feelings, however if you take into account actual data, she is considered a millennial. I think she might reword her sentence to “I do not feel like a millennial.”

As an overall argument, the author does not use a lot of statistics or evidence to back up her claims. They are purely opinions that have no backing of any evidence. In some cases she even claims things that are just not true. As a counter argument to the author, I would use the statistics that anyone born between 1981 and 1997 is a millennial.

Millennial Narcissism

This entry was posted in Blog Post 3, Section J5 and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.