Responsibility Required For Adulthood: Annotated Sources

Baer, Drake. “Psychology Says You Need To Achieve These 3 Goals To Become An Adult.” TechInsider, Business Insider Inc., 12 Jan 2016, http://www.techinsider.io/the-3-things-that-make-you-an-adult-2016-1.

Baer’s article is essentially a recap of the three things Jeffrey Jensen Arnett says make an adult, which are taking accountability for oneself, making autonomous judgements, and having financial freedom. Baer goes through each of these markers listing examples and citing reliable sources like Arnett and others. He also inputs statistics that add to Arnett’s original argument. Baer does not use humor, but his article is still informative and interesting.
Baer’s article is useful because it gives me many of the main ideas of my paper in a condensed form. Also, the article gives me some of the overlying points of Arnett’s argument without forcing me to find and cite some of his lengthier books. In addition, Baer’s article is trustworthy, because while Baer himself may not have the greatest of credentials, his information comes from highly reputable sources.
Baer’s article ties in with Beck’s but only slightly. It supports my argument by displaying how becoming an adult requires a level of individual responsibility for oneself.

Beck, Julie. “When Are You Really An Adult?” The Atlantic, The Atlantic Monthly Group, 5 Jan 2016, http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/01/when-are-you-really-an-adult/422487/.

Beck’s article attempts to answer what it is that actually makes someone an adult. In answering this question she draws from experts as well as some of her own reader’s opinions. She attempts to answer this question by saying adulthood comes from developmental tasks, social constructs, and even science. After displaying the many ways an adult can be defined, Beck ends by saying that there is no clear definition of adult and that it’s definition must be created by individual people themselves.
Beck’s article is useful, because while she herself may not have made her own definition of adult, she references many experts who all have clear definitions of adult that I can draw from. Because Beck mentions many people, her article is unbiased because it relays multiple differing thoughts on the idea of an adult. Beck is also a senior associate editor at The Atlantic, so her writing is reputable.
Beck’s article is similar to Baer’s in that both of them mention Jeffrey Jenson Arnett and his theory of emerging adulthood. However, Beck mentions other ideas that differ from this theory. I will focus on Arnett’s theory in my paper though, so the areas of discontinuity between the two articles are relatively unimportant.

Firestone, Robert. “Six Aspects Of Being An Adult: Living Life As An Authentic Adult.” Psychology Today, Sussex Publishers, 24 Jun 2013, https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-human-experience/201306/six-aspects-being-adult.

Firestone’s article is a run-through of the six things he believes define an adult. These criteria are logic, goal creation and fulfillment, equal relationships, assertiveness, open-mindedness, and power over oneself. Not only does Firestone list and describe these attributes of adults, he also mentions the child mode, which is the powerlessness felt by children. Firestone speaks of how when adults are in the child mode they feel helpless and are unable to create and fulfill goals. He goes on to say that the child mode causes adults to blame their issues on other people and in addition causes them to put off the fear of death.
Firestone’s article is important because it gives me other criteria for adulthood other than Arnett’s while at the same time giving me information to support my idea of responsibility being the clear marker of adulthood. It’s argument about the child mode is also interesting and ties into responsibility, making it useful for my paper. Firestone does not site any sources, but he does have a Ph.D. and he has written numerous books and professional articles as well as produced 35 documentaries. Because Firestone is a genuine clinical psychologist, I believe his article is reliable.
Firestone’s article ties into Baer’s and Beck’s by listing criteria required to be an adult. However, the criteria listed in each article differs slightly. Despite this, I should still be able to use information from this article as well as the other ones to display how responsibility is what is needed to become an adult.

Source 1
Source 2
Source 3

This entry was posted in Blog Post 2, Section B2 and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Responsibility Required For Adulthood: Annotated Sources

1. Edwin Lopez says:

What I like most about your sources is the fact they all argue that we attain adulthood through multiple stages. By now, I think that we all agree that the transition from adolescence into adulthood is not actually one stage sort of transition. It’s more of a gradual process. Such transition can even be divided into a subset of several smaller transitions. For example, in your first annotation, you state that the author’s argument is similar to Arnett’s argument in “Emerging Adulthood.” I think that this source would be even more credible and reliable had the author cited Arnett. Your final source adds to my argument that adulthood is defined, or should be defined, by a variety of elements. For your second source, I like the fact that the author ends her article by arguing that there’s no clear definition for adult. It will be interesting to see how you integrate that into your paper. As Beck says, it’s really to each individual to define a true adult or true adulthood.