Annotated Bibliography : Adulting in 21st Century

17978213632762d025a902eea2ec08fa503dc64c

1.

Oblinger,Diana. “Boomers & Gen-xers, Millennials: Understanding the New Students” Educause Review, July/August, 2003, pp. 37-47.  http://er.educause.edu/~/media/files/article-downloads/erm0342.pdf. Accessed 14 Sept 2016.

The article is trying to explain and define the new students in terms of the changes in student population,  their view of technology and how these changes may affect the ways college faculties should design their projects and courses.

The source is useful to my argument because it explains the millennial and thus can help me with explaining  how adulting in 21st century different from adulting in the last century.

The quality of the source is relatively good. The article was published on a academic magazine for educators and is written to help college faculties understand the new generation so that they can develop better programs or courses that can act more effectively on the current university students, so that the article is quite neutral. However the article is a little bit outdated since it was published in 2003, at the start of 21st century, but it is now 2016, lots of things have changed over the past 13 years.

The source is useful to my argument because it explains the millennial and can help me with explaining  how adulting in 21st century different from adulting in the last century.

2.

Misgeld,Dieter. “Self-Reflection and Adult Maturity: Adult and Child in Hermeneutical and Critical Reflection” Phenomenology + Pedagogy 3, pp.191- 200. https://ejournals.library.ualberta.ca/index.php/pandp/article/viewFile/14998/11819. Accessed 14 Sept 2016.

The article talks about how personal reflection help people receive personal growth, how the adequacy of self-reflectiveness affect one’s life history and how people may end up with if they do not have enough self-reflectiveness. Also, the writer gives out her own definition of adulting and  her own opinions on how children can develop into adults. What’s’ more, in the last paragraph ,the writer gives out her own opinion that people never quite exist as adults, it’s just that the degree of adulting varies between individuals.

The quality of the source is good since the article is subtracted from a published book written by Dieter Misgeld, a professor in the Ontario Institute or Studies in Education of the University of Toronto. Also, since the content of the article is about self-growth and has very little time-restriction, the source do not have that he problem of being out-dated. Though the writer’s opinion on adulting, which is ” people never quite exist as adults” is a questionable theory, the writer’s opinions on adulting is very inclusive and can make me think more deeply about the meaning and mechanism of adulting.

The sourse is useful to my argument because I was trying to figure out how teenagers develop into adults due to increasing experiences, while the article spend lots of words on the methods of self-growth and adulting.

3.

McGlynn,Angela Provitera.”Teaching Millenials, Our Newest Cultural Cohort” the Eduacation Digest,December 2005,pp.12-16. http://www.homeworkforyou.com/static/uploadedfiles/User_82682322016teachingmillenials.pdf. Accessed 14 Sept 2016.

The article talks about how Millenials, unlike other generations, show diverses even within the generation and how the “nontraditional” is now the majority. Also, it mentions how college faculties can improve their teaching efficiency by encouraging teenagers to engage more actively in the class and build up more connections between teachers and students.

The quality of the source is relatively good since it is published by a journal and the author does not show any personal preference toward the millanials, which means that the source is relatively neutral and believable. Also, since the writer is Angeia Provitera McGiynn, a professor of Psychology, she can get in touch with college students every day and thus can have more accurate insights about millenials. However, this source has the same problem as the first one, which is somehow outdated and cannot show the most uptodate situation of the teenagers.

The source is useful to my argument because this article defines the millenial and explain the qualities that millenials share. This can help me define the adulting in 21st century better.

This entry was posted in Blog Post 2, Section C2 and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Annotated Bibliography : Adulting in 21st Century

1. Maria Delvalle says:

As to your first source, I do think it is outdated, especially because it involves technology and technology evolves within the blink of an eye. Students nowadays are way more involved in technology than they were in 2003, and technology is way more advanced nowadays, too. If you could find a source that has the same argument and is more up-to-date, I think it would be better for your paper. The article seems to be reliable and to have great arguments, but I think a more current source would list more differences between how adulting is today vs. how adulting was back then.

Also, I agree with Steven in that you need to try to tie your sources together, and I like the way he suggests you could try to tie them up.

2. Davis Riddett says:

I am agreeing with Steven here: you did a good job with presenting your 3 sources in bibliography form. I also agree with him that your articles should be “woven together in[to] a conversation”. After all, an essay is somewhat like your side of a conversation. Each of your sources certainly can tie into the others, but you have the job of figuring that part out. Map out how you want to present your sources before you begin typing and I think you will do great.

3. Steven Creech says:

I find that you did a fair job in your annotated bibliography, but I feel like instead of creating a synthesis of your sources, you just said how you would use it in your essay, so I would suggest trying to tie all of your sources together. For example, your third article talks about how the millennial generation is different than any previous one, so you could use this as a foundation of your definition. Then to support your definition you could bring up your first article to use as an example of today’s adults and compare that to perhaps your second source in which how the difference between schooling and personal experience in growing up. Rather than simply using each article separately, they should be woven together in a conversation. I think you should consider adding some kind of intertwining to your essay (you don’t have to use my suggestion), but having articles that communicate with each other can make the writing more eloquent.